CANAL COMMITTEE – MEETING MINUTES
July 11th, 2015 MEETING – 9:00AM CDT – SPC CONFERENCE ROOM
- Roll call and agenda adjustments
- Present were: Sandy Buckly, Stephen Creamer, John & Pat Entrekin, Bill Flake, Pat Sweeney, & Jack Scelsi
- Scelsi requested to add the issue of unauthorized docking to the agenda.
- April 11th 2015 minutes approved
- 2015 Revenue Update
- Occupancy data was analyzed and discussed. Canal Income is experiancing a slight downward trend. Scelsi said that there was about $2k of potential canal revenue that was moved to the Marina due to boat size or availability issues which accounts for some of the revenue variance. marketing and email blasts are being sent out by the rental department. All other possible factors discussed were beyond the committees control.
- Procedure for making additions and alterations to the dock.
- Research regarding the type and color of bumper that management may allow to be attached to the dock was conducted by John and Pat Entrekin since the last meeting and posted online for all to see and discuss. Boat owners would still have to request to make an addition or alteration to the dock through the usual archetectural control channels. Sweeney volunteered to send the results of the research to Jack to be forwarded to archetectural control.
- Sandpiper Cove Fish Cleaning Issues
- Scelsi reported that he has spoken with Destin Water Users regarding the possibility of tying in a macerator type fish carcass disposal system to the waste water lines on the property. He reported that there is no problem with using the waste water system for this, However, the cost for this type of system seems high. After discussion it was agreed to improve sinage regarding the discarding of fish carcasses first, and continue to look for ways to improve disposal.
- Sweeney advised that he had already done some research in the area of Florida regulations concerning the disposal of fish cleaning waste and would put together a sign that could be posted in the fish cleaning area.
- Safety Ladders North side of dock.
- The committee discussed the need to install safety ladders on the north side docks. After discussion it was the consensus that the water is not deep enough to present an unusual hazard. Most if not all areas adjacent to the dock are 4’ deep with the center being 6’ deep. Most boats have ladders that enable swimmers to climb up on them for self rescue should someone fall in.
- Water quality
- Bill Flake brought the most recent water quality sample data to the meeting. He reported that the canal water is very close in composition to the water in the harbor. General consensus is that the water is looking better and that the bubblers are having a positive effect.
- There has been a problem with the last two bubblers installed west of the bridge. After installation it is believed that they were damaged by boat traffic. Scelsi advised that they will be reinstalled in a way to aviod this problem in the future.
- Committee leadership and direction.
- Sweeney reported that after his resignation in late May he has had no volunteers to take over the position of committee chairman. It was asked at the meeting if anyone wanted to take over that position. With no volunteers, Scelsi suggested that the committee be decommisioned. He suggested that he would keep a contact list of people that are interested in participating in canal projects and create an ad-hoc committee when needed to work on specific canal related projects.
- All present were in favor of decommisioning the canal committee and using an ad-hoc approach to work on specific canal related issues.
- Unauthorized Docking
- Scelsi requested that the committee consider drafting an amendment to our Canal Rules document. Recently he has had a problem with a boat docking at the canal without a reservation. He would like to charge boat owners that do this for the service that they receive. He would like to charge for this at a much higher rate than those that follow proper procedures. After discussion Sweeney volunteered to draft a rule ammendment and send it to the committee for a vote.
- No guests were present.
- 10:12 AM CDT